Friday, July 16, 2010

Wednesday, July 14th Letter

Dear Family and Friends,
 
Hello!!!  Well it happened Hermana Jardine went home on Thursday.  It was very sudden.  We thought we would have her for at least the weekend, but it was not to be.  We helped her pack and sent her on her way.  It is weird being in our room and doing things without her there.  As well we now know that she has Type I Diabetes.  She has written us and says it is weird to be alone.  We miss her but know she is where she needs to be.  So we are now a three-some.  Still Hermana Stevenson, me, and Hermana Donkin.  Hermana Donkin is from Portland Oregon.  I thought that might intrigue Dad since he served in Oregon.  She is from a very big family.  There are ten kids in her family.  She is very loud and happy.  She has been a welcome addition to our companionship.  She helps Hna. Stevenson not get as annoyed with me.  It has really reduced the contention.  Also this last Sunday they released me from being the Coordinating Sister.  They like to give as many people as they can the opportunity to lead.  I served for six weeks.  Usually they have you only serve for 4.  Hermana Donkin has been called as the new Coordinating Sister.  She is already doing a fabulous job.  She is a great support to me and I love having her around. 
 
Today has been a little crazy.  We had to go to the front offices so Hermana Stevenson could do somethings for her job back home.  If she takes some test online she will still have her job when she gets home.  It took forever.  So that is why I am writing you so late.  Also today we had the opportunity to clean the temple.  It was nice to go to the temple.  We haven't been since they closed the temple.  We have missed it greatly.  The spirit is still there.  The peace I feel in the temple is so wonderful.  I love the temple!!!  I am very glad that I will be able to attend the temple in my mission.  The temple is in my mission, Hna. Donkin says. 
 
We had a fireside on Sunday with Jenny Oaks Baker.  It was amazing.  For those of you who don't know Jenny Oaks Baker is a very accomplished classical violinist.  She is married with 4 children.  She attended College in Philadelphia and went on for her Masters in Juliard (spelling?).  She shared with us many experiences where music has helped her to rely on the Lord and gain a stronger testimony of Jesus Christ.  Of course, she played songs.  She played "Amazing Grace", "I need thee every hour", "Believe Me", "Be still my soul", "This is the Christ", and "I know that my Redeemer Lives."  Her father, Elder Dallin H. Oaks, was in the audience with his wife.  It was a great experience that I will treasure.  I love music and this fireside was really special.
 
I am glad to hear that everyone is doing well.  I love the letters I receive.  They are such a support.  So thank-you everyone who has written me.  Continue to believe in the Gospel of Jesus Christ and to live as he would live.  I know we will never completely succeed, but we should always be striving to become more like Christ.  Again, those of you with boys help them to find their own testimony of this amazing Gospel.  Have them read Preach My Gospel before they enter the mission field.  These things will benefit them greatly.  I love this Gospel.  I know that this is the Church of Jesus Christ on the earth today.  I know it.  I know that Jesus Christ is supporting me on this mission.  He is the best friend and best older brother anyone could ever have.  Let us all strive to be more like him.
 
Adios,
Love,
 
Hermana Alaina Mills

No comments:

Post a Comment